Search for University Jobs in Pharmacy
Associate Dean, Academic Affairs
The Associate Dean – Academic Affairs (AD-AA) serves as the chief officer responsible for coordinating, executing, evaluating and refining the academic plan, assisting faculty in developing their instructional abilities, and assessing the outcomes of the students in all degree programs within the College. The AD-AA directs the faculty in planning and securing resources, evaluating and implementing activities for the academic program, and managing the procurement of related funds. The AD-AA also serves as a College representative both internally and externally and actively participates in various Institutional planning, implementing, and evaluating academic activities.
Nature and Scope of Position:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directs the Office of the AD-AA at the College of Pharmacy;
- Oversees the design, co-ordination, execution, evaluation and refinement of the study plan for all pharmacy
degree programs in accordance with accreditation requirements;
- Works with other Colleges and departments on pre-pharmacy course requirements, design, assessment
- Oversees pharmacy graduate study plans in conjunction with the head of graduate studies and PharmD
- Leads all activities regarding the development and delivery of undergraduate study program at the college
on behalf of the Dean.
- Collaborates extensively with other academic and administrative administrators within the context of QU
- Works with the Business Services functions in QU Health and central QU administration to ensure financial,
space and other operational support required for the College;
- Involved in initiating joint degree programs (i.e. Entry to PharmD/MBA) and elective courses (e.g: veterinary
medicine, pharmaceutical industry, etc…);
- Implements and monitors, with faculty support, the semester pharmacy and non-pharmacy course
assessment process including the student course and instructor evaluations process for pharmacy courses;
- Oversees the semester course co-ordination and teaching assignment assessment process to ensure a
balanced load across faculty members;
- Oversees the assessment and mapping of student learning outcomes and competencies in accordance
with accreditation requirements;
- On behalf of the Dean, serves as liaison for the College of pharmacy to various internal and external offices
- Leads, organize and coordinate the process for accreditation and quality assurance, including the
continuous engagement of leading international experts;
- Co-Coordinates the administrative process of promotion and appointments for faculty.
- Designs and facilitates the faculty recruitment and development in co-ordination with department heads;
- Advises the Dean on administrative matters as well as mission-related program development issues;
- Works co-operatively with assistant dean of student affairs and course coordinators to design, implement
and evaluate remediation programs aimed at students who are not progressing on schedule.
- Works with the Dean and associated committees to develop a strategic academic plan to support the
continued enhancement of the teaching and learning environment;
- Establishes relationships with other faculty within Qatar University and other institutions to promote
development and assessment of the academic program;
- Implements a routine assessment of alumni and employers to provide feedback for curriculum planning in
coordination with assistant dean of student affairs;
- Develops college-level curricular policies and procedures as needed to complement university policies and
- Advises faculty members and adjunct faculty on university and college-level and guidelines and college
policies and procedures for course co-ordination and teaching within the College of Pharmacy;
- Promotes the establishment and development of any "Centers of Academic Excellence within the College;
- Oversees internal seminars and workshops on teaching and learning enhancement;
- Organizes university-wide seminars and symposiums to promote teaching collaborations with the College of
- Serves on the Dean’s Advisory Committee of the College;
- Serves as the Chair (appointed by the Dean) of the Curriculum Committee;
- Serves as a member (Dean’s representative) on the Teaching and Learning Enhancement Committee;
- Serves on national professional and/or scientific associations as appropriate;
- Serves as a mentor for the junior faculty who need assistance to develop their own course management
and teaching skills;
- Interpret, initiate and coordinate goals for National hires and provide regular reports on progress to College
of Pharmacy leadership;
- Ensures and maintains compliance of all academic programs with governance requirements of the College
and the University;
- Provides consultation to departmental management on faculty issues and concerns;
- Oversees the relevant budget for this position;
- Assures compliance with safety programs;
- Maintains an active personal scholarship program including seeking extramural funding, peer-reviewed
publication and presentation in accordance with the QU Faculty Handbook guidelines for academic staff;
- Co-ordinates and teaches in assigned courses;
- Serves on other College and Institutional committees as appropriate;
- Writing reports for internal purposes (self study and annual reports and for accreditation purposes
- Oversees assessment and PLOA committees
- Oversees faculty contract renewal in collaboration with department heads
- Oversees and implement curricular changes and delivery.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean.
- Supervises staff within the Office of the AD-AA to facilitate the delivery of the curriculum. Responsibilities include assigning work, evaluating performance, and rewarding or disciplining employees who report directly to the AD-AA.
Skills and Competencies Required:
Experience and Education:
- Has an earned professional and/or graduate degree in a pharmacy specialty.
- Has at least seven years of relevant academic research experience with at least two years in an
administrative academic position.
- Has documented accomplishments in teaching, research and service at a level to be appointed as an
associate/ professor in one of the academic sections of the College of Pharmacy.
- Bilingual (Arabic/English) skills preferred but not mandatory. Excellent English written and verbal
communication skills. Ability to read analyses and interpret common scientific and technical journals,
financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common communications from other organizations, colleges, faculty, staff, students,
members of the profession of pharmacy, and other business or academic entities.
- Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
Ability to effectively present information to individuals at all levels, ranging from high school children to
members of the board of directors.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions to solve problems and
- Significant experience in academic leadership roles at recognized pharmacy schools is required.
- Demonstrated experience in leading quality assurance processes and obtaining accreditation from leading
- Some experience in health care management is necessary.
- Demonstrated ethical behavior, professionalism, interpersonal skills, leadership and management abilities
sufficient to effectively direct and develop faculty members and support staff.
- Knowledge of current professional trends in pharmaceutical and clinical training and general knowledge of
current trends in the professional practices of the health care system.
- Effective interactions with other Colleges and departments within the Qatar University and with other
agencies and institutions with which College faculty members will collaborate.
- Familiarity with Canadian Council for Accreditation Program accreditation standards and guidelines.
Dr. Mohammad Diab
Dean, College of Pharmacy
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |