Reporting directly to the Dean for the College of Pharmacy, the Assistant Dean for Research Activities (ADRA) will provide leadership and support for the College in advancing its research mission as well as the integration of that mission with the larger strategic goals of the College and University.
The ADRA is expected to provide visionary leadership for research, empowering faculty to develop research, as well as facilitating partnerships with both the public and private sectors while working collaboratively with the MBKU-COP Associate Dean, Assistant Deans, Department Chairs, faculty, staff, and students to elevate the College’s research activities.
The ADRA will serve on College and University committees and perform duties as assigned by the Dean. These duties include, but are not limited to: facilitating all aspects of research activity in the college, assisting faculty in acquiring research support, overseeing compliance with University, state, and federal sponsor guidelines and policies, participating in the planning of the college New Faculty Orientation process, and teaching in the Doctor of Pharmacy program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The ADRA takes a leadership role in overseeing the College’s Research Laboratory.
- Collaborate with faculty to develop, facilitate and obtain new revenue streams through grants and other resources that will enhance the College’s research activities. Specific areas of emphasis include expanding interdisciplinary and translational research, facilitating research infrastructure, and developing expertise necessary to support successful competition for research funding.
- Represent and advocate for the College in various venues including University-wide committees and working groups focused on research.
- Manage, in concert with the relevant University Offices, intellectual property and research agreements.
- Develop and manage research-related policies, serve as the campus liaison for interdisciplinary research and organize initiatives to establish new research.
- Serve as a member of the College’s Executive Team, setting policy and strategic direction for the College.
The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully set priorities and analyze data.
- Demonstrated record of strong teamwork, ethical behavior, and collaboration with faculty, administrators, staff, and students.
- Ability to create, motivate, and manage teams of creative individuals in support of goals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage people with integrity and to build trust.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership in assisting with the development of research programs.
- Demonstrated expertise regarding funding environment to take advantage of future funding programs.
- Evidence of a successful program of scholarship and history of grant support.
- Academic administration and leadership experience, including the ability to implement policies and decisions.
- Evidence of mentoring junior faculty and doctoral students.
- Experience building interdisciplinary partnerships and research teams.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
The minimum amount of education and experience that an individual needs in order to successfully perform the essential duties of the position are:
- A Ph.D., PharmD or relevant terminal degree in an appropriate field, pertinent training (postdoctoral/residency) and expertise
- A level of academic experience commensurate with being hiring as an Associate or Full Professor
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Located in Fullerton, CA, Marshall B. Ketchum University is an independent, private, non-profit, accredited educational institution. MBKU is home to the Southern California College of Optometry, the School of Physician Assistant Studies and College of Pharmacy. Named after the founder of the optometric institution in 1904, the change to the University structure addresses the growing demand for highly skilled health care professionals.
The University’s Southern California College of Optometry confers a Doctor of Optometry (OD) and a Master of Science in Vision Science (MS) degree. MBKU’s School of Physician Assistant Studies under the College of Health Sciences awards a Master of Medical Sciences (MMS) degree. MBKU’s College of Pharmacy welcomed its first class in the fall of 2016 and will award a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree in the Spring of 2020. MBKU owns and operates two premier eye and vision care centers: the University Eye Center at Ketchum Health and the University Eye Center at Los Angeles.
MBKU provides an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, and life insurance, free vision exams, short and long term disability, generous paid time off plans, a university-sponsored retirement plan with a 9% contribution and an on-site fitness center located on the Fullerton campus. See our website under Employment for more details regarding benefits of working for MBKU (www.ketchum.edu).
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates, please send a cover letter along with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled.