Search for University Jobs in Pharmacy
Part-Time Instructor Pool - Biotechnology - UC Berkeley Extension
University of California Berkeley
Part-Time Instructor Pool - Biotechnology - UC Berkeley Extension
Remote locations or the San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Academic - Temporary, Part-Time (Non-Tenure Track)
UC Berkeley Extension, the professional and continuing education division at the University of California, Berkeley, invites applications for a pool of qualified, temporary, part-time instructors to teach on-site and online courses for our Biotechnology department.
UC Berkeley Extension seeks dynamic part-time instructors with a commitment to undergraduate, professional and continuing education in Biotechnology to lead multiple courses each year. The pool will remain in place for one calendar year; those interested in remaining in the pool beyond October 27, 2021 must reapply. Screening of applicants begins immediately and will continue as needed; some appointments may begin as early as the Spring 2021 semester. The number of these temporary, part-time, non-tenure track, academic positions varies from semester to semester, depending on the needs of the department. Appointments are offered on a course-by-course basis, and appointment length is based upon course section schedule(s). Appointments may be renewable based on need, funding, and performance.
We are seeking qualified applicants who possess current subject matter expertise and/or teaching knowledge in the following course subject areas (but not limited to). For a full list of current courses, please refer to: https://extension.berkeley.edu/academic-areas/sciences-mathematics-and-biotechnology/
- Introduction to Clinical Research: Clinical Trial Phases and Design
- Clinical Trial Planning: Protocol Development, Data Management and Clinical Site Activities
- Clinical Trial Implementation: Site Initiation, Subject Recruitment, Monitoring and Safety Reporting
- Clinical Trial: Data Analysis, Regulatory Audits, Vendor Selection and Project Management
Teaching Experience and Availability
- Principles of Regulatory Affairs: Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices
- Submissions and Commercialization
- Preparation, Submission and Agency Interfacing
- Harmonization Across Worldwide Applications
- Post-Approval Activities
- Principles of Supply Chain and Manufacturing
- Principles of Product and Process Development
- Principles of Quality and Compliance
- Regulatory Compliance for Pharmaceutical Products
In your application, indicate whether you have experience and availability for the following:
Instructor duties include but are not limited to:
- Classroom Teaching Experience
- Classroom Teaching Availability (once teaching resumes onsite in the San Francisco Bay Area)
- Online Teaching Experience
- Online Teaching Availability
Basic Qualifications (at time of application):
- Complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Berkeley.
- Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: updating and submitting syllabi using approved syllabus template; signing semester contract(s); communicating required texts and materials; communicating classroom technology and support needs.
- Make appropriate adjustments to continually improve the syllabus, curriculum and course materials. May be based upon programmatic and/or student feedback.
- Prepare and deliver course materials, lectures/presentations, and design learning assessments.
- Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning.
- Stay current within the subject, discipline or field of practice.
- Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum.
- Utilize course support platforms, including the Canvas Learning Management System and Zoom Pro (as applicable).
- Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline/explain the grading policies for the course.
- Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner (within 48 hours).
- Employ culturally competent and inclusive teaching methodologies in the classroom (including teaching non-native speakers and/or students with academic letters of accommodations for learning disabilities).
- Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes and assign grades.
- Post final student grades to the transcript system within two weeks of course completion.
- Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Program Director as needed.
- Retain student records according to University policies.
- May be considered by department to serve as a subject matter expert to write original online course curriculum and content. Collaborate with academic department and instructional designer(s) on project deliverables and deadlines, including the online course design/roadmap, learning strategies/activities, and media production/recordings. May develop and provide raw original content for the following: the online course syllabus, learning objectives, lecture segments and scripts, reading assignments, assessments/assignments, discussion prompts, course midterm exam(s) or project(s), final exam(s) or project(s), student instructions, etc.
Additional Qualifications (by the start date of the position):
- Advanced degree or equivalent international degree required.
- For those who are not US citizens or permanent residents, a legal permit that allows work in the United States (such as a US visa that allows employment) is required by the start date of the position. Due to the part-time, temporary nature of instructor positions, UC Berkeley Extension is unable to sponsor visa/work permits.
The Campus Community
- Doctorate degree or equivalent international degree preferred.
- 5 or more years of professional experience.
- 5 or more years experience teaching in a college/university environment.
- Experience in course development, including creating original academic content such as syllabi, learning objectives, lectures/presentations/scripts, learning activities, assignments, assessments, exams, and quizzes.
- Experience teaching and/or developing online courses.
- Effective organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Effective verbal/written communication and presentation skills (English).
- Ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and work within a team environment.
- Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) instructional and other technology, such as: Learning Management Systems (Canvas, Moodle, Blackboard, edX, etc.); lecture/presentation capture applications (Camtasia, Panapto etc.); online tele/video conferencing tools (e.g., Zoom, Google Hangouts, Skype, Adobe Connect, etc.); iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote); Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.); Google Home and Office tools (docs, sheets, slides, etc.); online file sharing (e.g., Google drive, Box, Dropbox, etc.); online shared calendars (e.g., Google calendar, Outlook, etc.).
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
Go to http://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF02784
References are requested from candidates at the interviewing stage, and references are only contacted for finalists.
All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality https://apo.berkeley.edu/ucb-confidentiality-policy
prior to submitting their letters.
Contact Kerry Everett at email@example.com
for further information. For more information about UC Berkeley Extension, please visit our website at: https://extension.berkeley.edu/
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |